In this episode we are talking about how to start doing something uncomfortable that you have been putting off over and over again. Here you will discover a 5-minute brain hack to get the things done and will learn the universal ways to end that vicious circle of the postponed tasks.
What you’ll discover
- How to remove all the tasks from your to-do list ASAP.
- The powerful technique of “4D’s”.
- What blockers keep you from completing the task and how to overcome each of them.
- How to hack your brain in 5 minutes to get the work done?
- Don’t you have that feeling that something hasn’t been completed yet? Like some tasks that need to be done, but you can’t start doing them. You need some tools to overcome it.
- How do you think, does the list of tough tasks makes you happy? Definitely not! Do you want to do something with it?
- We start blaming ourselves for not having the tasks done. And we don’t just think that it is bad to postpone them, we start searching reasons in ourselves and blaming our characters. And how can we feel comfortable with such thoughts about ourselves? In most cases we can’t do it and by that we are decreasing our daily happiness.
- We do have some reason for putting off our tasks, and the reason is that we have some blockers. By recognizing those blockers you would be able to start doing the tasks.
- I want to share with you some simple but very powerful technique that many highly productive people are using. And it is called “4D’s”: delete, delegate, defer, do.
- The first word is “delete” which stands for your ability to remove some tasks from your to-do list. The second word is “delegate” meaning that you give the task to your subordinates who can do it properly. The third word is “defer”: some tasks could be postponed, but having the date in your mind. And the last word is “do”: just do the task by yourself if you cannot delete, delegate or defer it.
- What are the possible reasons that you can’t start doing some task? There are a lot of reasons but some of them are most common.
- The most widespread blockers are: you can’t convert the problem into the real task; the task is really boring; the task will take too long; you don’t know where to start; the task will bring an unpleasant experience; there is a high risk of failure; there is no exact deadline; there are some hidden psychological barrier.
- The problem is a poorly described goal. Thus by analyzing the problem and looking for solutions we convert it into a task
- While the problem is something negative in our mind, the task itself is something more positive. That’s why our brain doesn’t like to deal with problems, but easily can start working on a task.
- What people do when having the problem? What are possible solutions? What resources do you have to deal with the problem? What is the easiest and most applicable approach in your exact case? And after having some answers you will be able to properly set the goal and achieve it.
- The change of the environment puts your mind into the different state so that you can perform better in your routine tasks.
- Use timer. Make a commitment that you will do the task for a certain period of time (e.g. 10 minutes) with no interruption.
- Do something in parallel. Especially if that routine work doesn’t require your brain efforts.
- What to do when the task takes too much time to complete? The main solution here is decomposition. You take one huge task, split it into parts, and then you go by checkpoints.
- There are also situations when you just can’t see the whole picture of how to complete the task. In that case, I like the approach from Brian Tracy’s book: to take the journey with one oil barrel at a time.
- You don’t see the whole track, but you know the direction by seeing the next small goal.
- If you can’t delegate that, and you can’t defer that anymore, the best way is to do it as quickly as possible, like drinking some disgusting medicine.
- Commit yourself, take a deep breath and do it without overthinking!
- Just do it!
- Before starting working on the task you already know that it will be a failure. But this is an amazing opportunity for you!
- If you know that you will fail, you can do anything! You are becoming an artist by creating alternative ways of completing the task.
- If you don’t have any external stimulus, the best way here is to create that stimulus for yourself.
- You can set the conditions, like”If I don’t do that in a week I should make a gift to a person I don’t really like.” Or you can think about any other good idea that would definitely force you to finish the task.
- There is one interesting lifehack which could help you to start working on most of the new tasks.
- So, how can we play with our brain? We can commit ourselves for a small period of time, let’s say, for 5 minutes. And after those 5 innocent minutes, our consciousness falls into the trap.
- I will do this task for 5 minutes only.
- Remind yourself about three tasks that you can’t start doing.
- Just select three different tasks which you postpone all the time and analyze why do you postpone them by using the list of blockers that I’ve just provided.
The task for the next week
This week’s task is a really easy one. Remind yourself about three things that you cannot start doing. Doesn’t matter if it’s related to your job, your health or your relationship. Just select three different tasks which you postpone all the time and analyze why do you postpone them by using the list of blockers that I’ve just provided. This task is really easy to do and you might probably ask “Why should I do this? There is no sense of doing that task!” But there is a good reason for implementing such tasks because every time you listen to some information and do nothing with that, you forget about it in a week at most. But when you try doing something with the information you’ve just received, you remember that there is such a tool. And even if you don’t desperately need it right away, you will need it in 3 or 6 months. And you’ll recall that there is such an approach to help in your situation and you will know where to find it quickly.